COTA(WA), supported by United Way WA and UWA have designed and delivered Mentoring 2 Work (M2W), a pilot program funded by the Australian government. The program is designed to empower and equip young adults (18-25) with the skills and confidence to find and maintain employment. Older Australians are invited to become mentors and will benefit by developing their skills in mentoring and connecting with the younger generation, and in doing so, help build a better community.
As a Mentor you will
- receive training and ongoing support as a Mentor to develop skills to utilise in career planning,
- use your vast knowledge, industry experience and networks to support jobseekers aged 18 -25 year to work towards employment,
- meet face-to-face with your mentee over the initial 3 months, and
- build a network with other mentors throughout WA.
Why be part of M2W?
Now in its 3rd year, Mentoring 2 Work (M2W) is a way for you to engage with like-minded people, to give back to your community and help young adults fast track to job placement.
You will use your vast knowledge, industry experience and networks to support young adults to develop and start on a career plan and pathway. You will receive training and ongoing support as a Mentor, develop skills to utilise the Career Pathways Toolkit, and have the opportunity to build a network with other mentors throughout WA.
What will you achieve by participating in the M2W program?
- Recognition for training and completion of the program – Certificate of Mentor Training
- Skills in mentoring, job planning and career development
- Building a network of contacts and support
- Increased confidence and employability and improved job performance
- A significant contribution, not only to the life of the young adult, but to our broader community
- The opportunity to pass on your knowledge and skills to benefit others
- Trusted relationship with your young adult
Who is eligible?
Retirees and working people over the age of 50 who can commit to attend training and conduct face-to-face mentoring sessions (6 x 1 -1.5 hours) over the initial 3-month period and another 3 months contact if needed.
Be part of their success stories!
If you are interested in finding our more. Please contact
Ms Kath Snell CEO, United Way WA
(08) 9440 4800